A plat map is a invaluable supply of details about a property that it’s best to obtain throughout the closing course of of an actual property transaction. A plat map is essential because it dictates a property’s lot measurement and the situation of its boundary strains.
Don’t let your plat map get misplaced within the maze of closing paperwork. You must, on the very least, perceive what a plat map is and what it’s used for thus you may evaluation the doc successfully. Points together with your plat map can have lasting results on the worth of your property and the way you should use your land. We outlined every thing it’s essential learn about plat maps and the best way to use them under.
What’s the distinction between a plat map and plot plans?
A plat map and plot plan are two completely different, however equally vital, property maps it’s best to evaluation throughout your closing course of. Each comprise vital property data, such because the authorized description of the size of your property and the place it falls in relation to the encircling space.
When evaluating the 2, a plot plan particulars a single plot of land— consider it as a close-up on simply your property. You’ll see the place present constructions fall, boundary measurements of your plot, and any rights of means on the property. In distinction, a plat map particulars a set of plots in a single space. A single plat map can differ in measurement, exhibiting a gaggle of 5 properties, a neighborhood, or a city. Plat maps may decide land use, resembling your means to construct different constructions on the property.
It’s vital to notice that not all properties are platted, so a plat map could not all the time be accessible. Plat maps can be modified and up to date, so all the time be certain you’re the latest accessible information.
Plat maps can typically be known as parcel maps. However usually, parcel maps are for presidency use and determine authorities boundaries. Generally a parcel map is used when a number of land parcels are being mixed— often known as a plat of consolidation.
When would you want a plat map?
You first obtain your plat map throughout the closing course of once you purchase a house. You’ll wish to pay shut consideration to the plat map throughout this course of as a result of what it says determines what you’re shopping for. You’ll want the plat map once more in the event you refinance your property, request a constructing allow, or in the event you plan to subdivide your lot.
When closing on a house, you’ll use the plat map to confirm the property in your sale. The plat will present the size of the lot with the authorized property strains. You’ll wish to guarantee:
- The property’s constructions are constructed throughout the property strains
- There aren’t any encroachments on the property
- That an present easement doesn’t intrude together with your plans for the property
What’s an encroachment?
An encroachment is when all or a part of a neighboring property extends previous its property strains. If there are any encroachments, you’ll need them resolved earlier than closing. It may be a serious headache to unravel property disputes, and chances are you’ll find yourself with a smaller property due to it.
Then again, you would tackle the accountability of fixing the dispute in change for one thing of worth to you within the closing course of. For instance, the vendor might decrease the sale worth or cowl half or the entire closing prices.
Do you want a survey?
If the property you’re shopping for has an easement or encroachment, it’s best to order a survey from a licensed property surveyor. You must also order one if there was any latest land motion or flooding, as this might have an effect on your property strains, topography, and any easements in your property.
Your common residential lot survey sometimes prices lower than $1,000. Nonetheless, in the event you’re shopping for a big property or one with troublesome terrain, the survey might value extra.
Kinds of plat maps and the one you need as a home-owner
There are 5 kinds of plat maps that you could be want as a home-owner. Which one(s) you want will rely in your scenario.
- A plat of subdivision information how a tract of land was divided into smaller parcels of land. You’ll want this in the event you’re shopping for one of many smaller parcels or in the event you’re shopping for a big tract of land that you simply plan to subdivide.
- A brief plat is sort of a plat of subdivision, however for not more than 4 separate parcels of land.
- A plat of consolidation exists when a number of adjoining parcels of land are consolidated into one bigger tract of land. You want this if the earlier proprietor purchased a number of parcels of land they’re now promoting to you or in the event you’ve bought extra parcels of land.
- An amending plat is a map that information adjustments or corrections to an present plat map. If there have been any pure or artifical adjustments to the property, it’s best to get an amending plat.
- A vacating plat legally cancels an present plat map.
When you’re uncertain about the kind of plat map you want, your actual property agent, lender, and native municipality can provide steering on the proper plat map(s) to your dwelling.
What data will you acquire from a plat map?
Reviewing your plat map ought to give you actual data concerning your property’s:
- Location: Your road identify, road quantity, the identify of your neighborhood, your lot quantity, and parcel quantity.
- Orientation: Your property’s relationship to cardinal instructions (north, south, east, and west). That is vital for understanding how the solar will fall throughout your property and its constructions— is it sun-soaked or sun-starved?
- Land measurement: Your boundary strains and their measurements. The sq. toes of the plot must also be listed. Be certain that the property is the dimensions that the vendor has acknowledged,and that every thing is constructed inside its boundaries.
- Flood zones: Your flood zone impacts your property insurance coverage fee, resale worth, and the place you may construct new constructions. It’s not essentially a nasty factor to purchase in a flood zone, however you ought to be conscious of the flood zone(s) that fall in your property.
- Open areas: Also called “greenbelts,” these areas are pure lands meant to protect wild areas. They might be leisure parks, preserves and reserves, wetlands, or wildlife refuges.
- Leisure areas: That is your space’s parks, playgrounds, and sporting services like soccer or baseball fields.
- Monuments: As a way to survey land precisely, governments have boundary factors or markers referred to as monuments and sometimes appear like stamped metallic disks which are usually positioned in concrete alongside roads to point a property’s boundary factors.
- Easements: Present half(s) of an space that the general public, the federal government, your neighbors, or non-public firms have entry rights to. They modify your rights as a property proprietor, so be certain you perceive any easements in your property.
Extra about easements on a plat map
An easement is a authorized proper to make use of the property and may be granted to an individual, folks, an organization, or authorities. The kind of easement determines its use they usually are available in just a few kinds:
- A utility easement grants entry to a utility firm or your municipality for the aim of offering your space with a utility. That may embrace electrical strains and utility poles, water pipes, sewer strains, and fuel strains— or entry to them— in your property.
- A non-public easement provides one other individual the proper to make use of the property. For instance, you may promote an easement to a neighbor who wants to make use of it for sewer entry.
- An entry easement, a kind of prescriptive easement, is used for neighborhood trails or neighborhood entry roads.
- Different prescriptive easements may have particular entry causes connected to them.
Any easement will probably be listed in your plat map. Easements are usually not essentially a nasty factor. However it’s vital to know the place they’re and why they exist. Some easements could make it inconceivable so that you can construct in your property or make it troublesome to make use of your land the way in which you supposed. When you’ve got any questions or issues in regards to the easements in your property, it’s best to converse with an actual property legal professional or different authorized counsel with information about easements.
Learn how to learn a plat map and know your lot measurement
If you get your plat map, find the image legend. This can aid you learn every thing appropriately and it’ll present you the best way to discover the monuments in your neighborhood. You must also find the directional arrow (pointing north) and the dimensions, sometimes positioned close to one another within the prime left or prime proper nook of the map.
The plots are roughly rectangular containers following roads and marked with lot numbers within the center. Under the lot quantity is the lot measurement written in sq. toes. The parcel quantity will probably be listed in smaller numbers throughout the plot boundary, and the home quantity will seem simply exterior your plot boundary alongside the road line.
In addition to referencing the lot measurement recorded in your plot field, you may also calculate it. You’ll additionally discover the size of your boundary strains written alongside them contained in the field. You must also observe any of the easements alongside the boundary strains. Every easement may have its kind and measurements listed.
How correct are plat maps?
The accuracy of your plat map relies on how not too long ago it was up to date. If the plat map you’re utilizing was created throughout the previous 5 years, you may depend on it to be largely correct. However the older it’s, the extra possible a discrepancy exists.
The panorama can change over time attributable to climate occasions and different elements. Neighbors could have constructed new constructions, municipalities could have altered roads or alleys, and utility firms could have modified how utilities lay throughout your property.
When you’ve got any doubts in regards to the accuracy of your plat map, it’s best to get a survey of your plot. This offers you essentially the most correct data concerning your property.
How yow will discover a plat map to your property
There are a number of methods to get your plat map, relying on the kind of map you want and the rationale for getting it. You possibly can receive the map from:
- Your native authorities, both the town information workplace or county assessor’s workplace.
- The Bureau of Land Administration (BLM), in the event you want a plat map for federal lands.
- Your title firm offers the plat map among the many paperwork you get on account of your title search.
Plat maps are thought-about a public file, to allow them to be obtained by anybody. You can even discover one within the on-line database Q Public.
Contemplate hiring a land surveyor for a extra exact measurement of your property
If it’s essential know the precise measurements of your property, you’ll want a land survey. The kind of land survey you want, lot measurement, its terrain, and what you intend to make use of it for, all have an effect on survey prices.
If you purchase a home, your lender would possibly require a mortgage survey or boundary survey. The mortgage survey outlines the property boundaries and the buildings inside them. A boundary survey, which can be known as a boundary evaluation, simply outlines the plot boundary strains.
Mortgage surveys are sometimes required once you purchase prolonged title insurance coverage, as its particulars can drastically have an effect on the worth of your property. The price of a mortgage survey is round $500. Boundary surveys are usually cheaper, round $200.
You can even buy topographic surveys for round $900, that are wanted to develop building plans. These define pure options like streams and slopes, in addition to man-made options resembling buildings. When you solely must assemble a fence, a fencing land survey will run you round $550.