Sharing a bit about my journey to consuming much less alcohol and suggestions for lowering your alcohol consumption if that’s considered one of your targets.
Hello mates! How’s the week going to date? I hope you’re having an important morning to date! I’m right here engaged on content material for our 6-week group – ALL of the information might be posted right here subsequent Tuesday, so mark your calendars!
For right this moment’s submit, I needed to speak a bit about alcohol and a number of the issues I’ve executed to scale back my alcohol consumption over time.
My journey to consuming much less alcohol
Let’s take just a little stroll into the previous and my historical past with alcohol:
– I’ve by no means actually been somebody to *overdo* it on alcohol. Whereas I’ve undoubtedly had my moments (in school principally lol) of overdoing it, I by no means blacked out or did issues i might later remorse due to impaired decision-making talents, thank goodness. Whereas I’ve solely drank what I contemplate to be an excessive amount of on just a few events, I regularly had 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails all through the week.
– I discovered that “an excessive amount of” means various things for various folks. Whereas I wasn’t getting tipsy consistently, there have been instances (years?) that I had some sort of wine or cocktail each.single.day.
– After we lived in San Diego, it was not unusual for us to drink a bottle of wine each night time. Whereas it felt fully regular and like part of life, I spotted that it was an excessive amount of and needed to chop again. (PS consuming a bottle each night time will get costly, too!)
(Caro approves of my determination to chop again. )
A few of the foremost the reason why I selected to scale back my alcohol consumption:
– Each.time I drank a couple of cocktail or one glass of wine, I slept terribly and wakened feeling exhausted the following morning. It actually sucks to start out your day on such a low-energy notice, particularly whenever you’re chasing after children all day. I spotted that I felt so a lot better within the morning after I skipped wine the night time earlier than.
– I spotted that it turned a behavior greater than an enjoyment or pleasure. Consuming wine turned one thing I did every day, not one thing I actually loved. Like every behavior, it took some time to interrupt, and it was value it.
– For well being. I had a gallbladder scare just a few years in the past and seems that your liver and gallbladder (BFFs) hate alcohol. It was a very good wake-up name to observe my consumption and attempt to scale back it. Your physique views alcohol as poison and can pause different processes with the intention to attempt to eradicate the toxin. It processes alcohol completely otherwise than meals.
Alcohol inhibits deep sleep, as your physique works to course of the alcohol as you sleep. It will increase your temperature and resting coronary heart charge, and in addition impacts your insulin sensitivity. Sporting my Oura ring and the Nutrisense CGM have offered priceless perception as to how alcohol (particularly after 7-8pm) impacts my physique.
– For physique composition causes. After I diminished my alcohol consumption (along with some vitamin adjustments I’ve revamped time), I observed a distinction in physique composition. I felt much less bloated and puffy after I wakened, and in addition like I may lastly see a number of the muscle I’d been attempting to construct.
What about social consuming?
This was an enormous contributor to common cocktails, and in addition as an introvert, I LIKE the nice and cozy and fuzzy feeling from a glass of wine as I chat with folks I don’t know very effectively. I really feel prefer it completely takes off the sting, and makes it simpler for me to have interaction with everybody in a social setting.
Truthfully, I needed to recover from it.
I needed to inform myself I didn’t *want* alcohol to speak with new mates at events, and it’s true. I don’t want it to really feel comfy in social conditions or to have a very good time.
I additionally questioned if anybody would say something after I selected water as an alternative of a cocktail, and nobody has stated a phrase. On the Pilot’s squadron Christmas get together, I drank water with a lemon and nobody cared. There are different ways in which I’ve labored on my social anxiousness, particularly with meditation, hanging out with smaller teams of individuals, and just a little CBD right here and there.
Did I stop alcohol completely?
No! I nonetheless love a margarita or a glass of wine 1-2 instances per week, however that’s it. Some weeks I’ve zero alcohol, and a few weeks I’ve one drink 1-2 nights per week, absolutely realizing that I gained’t sleep as effectively or have as a lot power within the am. I’ve simply labored to scale back my consumption over time and I really feel like dancing within the center (as an alternative an all or nothing mentality) has labored effectively for me.
Suggestions for lowering alcohol consumption:
Listed here are a number of the suggestions which have helped me! Please know that I’m not licensed in ANYTHING associated to this and I’m simply sharing my expertise. In the event you’re scuffling with alcoholism, please please get the assistance and help that you just deserve. There are plenty of assets right here.
– Drink one thing else that you just take pleasure in. Kombucha and scorching natural tea are pretty substitutes. I additionally loooooooove the Organifi Gold or Concord (use the code FITNESSISTA) blended with heat almond milk, a giant glass of water (I intention for round 100 oz per day), LMNT electrolytes, or an enormous smoothie.
– Strive a mocktail. A bartender could make a beautiful mocktail should you inform them what taste notes you take pleasure in or how candy you’d prefer it to be. There are additionally so many variations you should buy at grocery shops and on-line choices for alcohol-free wine and spirits (although I’ve but to attempt any of those).
– Drink half. As an alternative of getting a full glass, attempt consuming half as an alternative. I’ll order wine typically after we go to eating places, and can solely drink a 3rd or so of it (and comprehend it doesn’t go to waste as a result of the Pilot will end it as an alternative of getting a second drink).
– Cut back consumption over time. Like with something, full deprivation can backfire and result in overindulgence later. It was useful for me to be conscious and step by step scale back my consumption. I decreased the times I had alcohol every week till ultimately I acquired right down to 1-2. Now when I’ve it, I be sure that to take my time and luxuriate in it.
So inform me, mates: how typically do you drink alcohol? What’s your very favourite drink?
Hope you’ve a beautiful morning and I’ll see ya tomorrow with a recipe!