Arm day lifestyle for many of us. Most new lifters solely know a couple of workouts — and the barbell and the preferred one is that this staple and its multitude of variations. One variation that’s usually neglected chilly is the drag curl. Why? As a result of it’s onerous.
The drag curl in contrast to loads of different biceps curl variations takes physique English and the deltoids out of the motion to focus extra on the biceps. Plus, throughout the peak contraction, your elbows are behind your physique which units you up for an intense bicep contraction. The strict vary of movement offers your biceps the time beneath pressure they deserve for extra flex attraction.
Right here we’ll go into what the drag curl is, how you can do it, muscle mass skilled, advantages of coaching biceps, programming, and a few variations and alternate options.
WHAT IS THE DRAG CURL?
This drag curl has you arrange with the barbell proper in opposition to your physique. Reasonably than curling up towards your shoulders, you’re dragging the barbell as much as your physique whereas your elbows go behind you. This strict and shorter vary of movement takes the shoulders out to focus extra on the biceps.
The momentum from different muscle mass right here is minimal to extend the time beneath pressure on the biceps for a extra intense pump. Due to these components, the burden you’ll use will likely be much less however the advantages to your biceps will likely be value it.
HOW TO DO THE DRAG CURL
- Start by gripping a barbell with a palms-up shoulder-width grip with the barbell throughout your thighs.
- Maintain your chest up, shoulders down, and look straight forward.
- Pull your elbows again to contract your bicep and “drag” the barbell as much as your physique in the direction of your shoulders.
- Cease on the decrease chest/higher ab stage and pause then slowly decrease the bar alongside the identical path again to the beginning place. Reset and repeat.
- Biceps: Each the lengthy and quick head of the biceps are the prime movers with the drag curl.
- Forearms: Each curl variation includes the forearm muscle mass to help elbow flexion and for gripping functions.
- Brachialis: That is the muscle beneath the biceps. This muscle is a powerful elbow flexor that assists the biceps with elbow flexion and this muscle helps add width to the higher arm.
BENEFITS OF THE DRAG CURL
In addition to self-importance, there are different vital the reason why to incorporate biceps curl variations just like the drag curl into your programming.
- Improved shoulder stability: The biceps are a double-headed muscle, which attaches to the scapula and shoulder joint and assists the rotator cuff with shoulder stability, notably by way of the anterior deltoid. The rotator cuff secures the humerus to the shoulder joint and the biceps secures the shoulder joint to the humerus and this compression from each side of your shoulder joint advantages your shoulder stability.
- Nice for shoulder rehab: The biceps play a minor function in shoulder flexion as a result of the biceps and anterior deltoid are skilled when your shoulder goes into flexion. Plus, the higher again muscle mass contract isometrically to maintain you in good posture and stop the shoulders from rolling ahead whereas performing curls. This is the reason biceps curls are programmed into the later levels of a rehab program as a solution to strengthen the rotator cuff and the higher again.
- They enable you to carry extra weight: Workouts that contain the biceps — like chinups, pullups, and rows — profit from stronger biceps and improved grip energy. Wouldn’t or not it’s a disgrace to your biceps to provide out earlier than you’ve exhausted your shoulders and again?
DRAG CURL FORM TIPS
The purpose of the drag curl is to reduce shoulder involvement so the biceps can get all of the love. Though a easy transfer to carry out, listed below are a couple of issues that will help you get the very best out of the drag curl train.
- Restrict momentum: Don’t begin the motion out of your decrease physique and resist the urge to lean backward and to make use of physique English to get the burden up. This negates the advantages of this train as a result of the dragging movement must be gradual and deliberate.
- Keep away from rolling the anterior shoulder: The ROM is much less is than in an ordinary curl however please keep away from rolling the shoulder too far ahead to realize further ROM right here. Extra just isn’t higher right here. Plus, conserving a slight bend within the knees takes the stress off the low again if it is a drawback space for you.
DRAG CURL PROGRAMMING SUGGESTIONS
The biceps is a muscle group that assists in my pulling workouts, and it’s best skilled after your predominant energy workouts for the day. Doing so lets you carry extra weight. Listed here are a couple of programming strategies to pump up your biceps with drag curls.
Biceps Triset Finisher
Doing three biceps workouts back-to-back to again on the finish of your coaching will give your biceps all they will deal with. For instance
1A. Drag curls: 3 units of 8-12 reps
1B. Focus Curls: 3 units of 8-12 reps either side
1C. Hammer curls: 3 units of 12-20 reps
Mechanical Biceps Dropset
Mechanical drop units have you ever beginning with essentially the most troublesome train for a selected muscle group and pairing it with a more easy variation and taking each to technical failure. For instance, beginning with drag curls after which performing barbell cheat curls. Burn child burn.
DRAG CURL VARIATIONS AND ALTERNATIVES
The barbell and EZ-bar drag curl are variations that may will let you carry essentially the most weight. But when these instruments worsen your joints, don’t despair. Carry out these variations as an alternative.