To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox every single day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Monday is right here, and we’re excited to throw ourselves into one other week of summertime tech information. Apropos summer time — because the VCs cease answering their telephones in favor of consuming elderflower lime martinis, enjoying pickleball, spelunking within the Bitcoin mines, and kite browsing (I can solely assume that’s what VCs do for his or her summer time break), it provides us tech reporters a bit extra time to go deeper on a few of the tales and firms which were itching our curiosity nerve.
In my distant previous as a startup founder, lengthy earlier than I grew to become a author at TechCrunch, exhibiting at TechCrunch Disrupt turned out to be an enormous second for my first startup. As an early-stage startup founder, you understand that the hustle is a part of the sport; if your organization doesn’t have the price range to attend, you’ll be able to apply to be a volunteer and attend that means. Don’t miss the volunteer FAQ to see if it is a good choice for you! — Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
Startups and VC
The regulatory atmosphere surrounding crypto is shifting within the US because the SEC takes purpose at main gamers within the web3 world, promising to shake up enterprise as ordinary with aggressive motion. David Nage discusses how regulatory scrutiny is impacting enterprise funding in web3. It’s an excellent dialog with Lucas and Anita on this week’s episode of Chain Response, for you podcast followers!
Oui Capital, an Africa-focused VC agency primarily based in Lagos and Massachusetts, introduced in the present day that it has accomplished the primary closing of its $30 million second fund, Tage stories. The agency seeks to strengthen its presence on the continent.
Extra extra extra:
- Headline of the week: Ugh, why is Natasha M so good! Don’t miss her Startups Weekly, the succinct recap of what’s what within the land of startups this previous week. Additionally, “The bootstrapped are coming, the bootstrapped are coming” is simply straight-up :chefs-kiss:.
- Like video games, however chainier: The runaway success of Axie Infinity and StepN has satisfied a flurry of entrepreneurs that web3 gaming is the longer term. In Rita’s piece, gaming vets promise to make blockchain video games enjoyable and sustainable.
- Nonetheless equal, simply with fatter coffers: Equal Ventures has a brand new pair of funds. The New York Metropolis–primarily based agency has closed a $95 million second fund and its first alternative fund, value $75 million, Natasha M sleuthed out from the agency’s SEC filings.
- Speak to the machine: UiPath has acquired Reinfer, a London-based startup that’s creating pure language processing (NLP) instruments for enterprises, Paul stories.
- Ixnay on the Chipper Money: Kenya has directed all banks to cease coping with Chipper Money and Flutterwave, claiming that the businesses are unlicensed, Annie stories.
- Extra Buoyant local weather market: The climate-focused VC Buoyant Ventures targets $100 million fund because the local weather market continues to evolve, Harri stories.
Construct a strong deck to your quarterly board conferences
Board conferences are nice for getting suggestions in your progress and your plans for the longer term, however what’s the easiest way to inform them what’s happening?
In accordance with Ridge Ventures accomplice Yousuf Khan, typically one of the best and easiest strategy to “make sure you’re offering board members with the data they wish to see is to simply ask them.”
“Reaching out to your board not solely helps present a way of course, it additionally provides you the chance to construct your relationship. Individuals recognize the chance to weigh in,” he says.
Khan additionally lays out seven ideas for constructing a presentation to provide your board updates in your progress, plans, the product and financials.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You’ll be able to join right here.)
Large Tech Inc.
Hyundai is contemplating buying the South Korea–primarily based lidar-free autonomous mobility platform 42dot. A spokesperson of 42dot instructed Kate that the startup is in talks, however cautioned that phrases, together with stake dimension and deal valuation, haven’t materialized but.
In one of many head-scratchiest strikes shortly, Spotify introduced it would introduce a Play button and a Shuffle button on the high of albums’ playlists to make it simpler to play the music the way in which you want, Sarah stories. Plot twist: the separate buttons are solely obtainable to paid subscribers. As Sarah concludes, “Streamers could also be dissatisfied to seek out out that what ought to be an app replace in favor of higher usability is oddly being offered to them as a cause to improve.”
Just a few extra:
- You by no means know once you want denims in 25 minutes: E-commerce big Amazon launches same-day supply from choose retail shops, together with PacSun and Diesel, Aisha stories.
- Accountless Twitter in testing: Ivan stories on a brand new check from Twitter, the place now you can use Twitter’s iOS app with out signing up for an account.
- Pinterest Shuffles into your temper boards: Social media firm Pinterest debuts a brand new app, Shuffles, for collage-making and moodboards, Sarah stories.
- Uh-oh: Issues are getting (much more) attention-grabbing in hacker land, as hackers steal passwords for accessing 140,000 cost terminals, stories Zack.
- AI could be going too far: There’s a cause over 450,000 folks learn Rising Tech Brew — the three-times-a-week e-mail delivering the newest expertise information impacting you and your world. Better part? It’s free and solely takes 5 minutes to learn, so there’s actually no cause to not attempt it. To remain up-to-date on the newest tech and AI advances, join the Rising Tech Brew e-newsletter at no cost.